FINESSE – Basic Pastry Competition
Date of the competition : 29 th of February 2020
Reporting Time and Briefing : 7:30 AM
Number of Participants : 2
Organizing committee : Chef Anthuvan (9443645399), Chef Rajmohan (9944556705)
Chef Madhusudan (9003028633)
1.The student will be provided with a fixed amount of ingredients to prepare one of the
four basic pastries used in bakery:
a) Sweet Short crust pastry (flour 500gms, butter 200 gms, icing sugar/castor sugar 100gms and 1 yolk if required – student is free to use 4:2:1 or 3:2:1 with remaining for dusting – no more additional flour or butter will be provided).
b) Salt Short crust pastry (similar to above with salt 10 gms instead of sugar)
c) Puff Pastry (250 gms butter and 500 gms flour, with 10 gms salt and 1 lemon)
d) Choux pastry (125 gms butter, 250 gms flour and eggs as required)
2. The student will have access to a limited pantry of sweet and savoury products to select and use as fillings/garnishing.
3. The student has to present to the judge in two round white plates, as provided by the organizers the following:
a) In case of sweet short crust or savoury short crust pastry product one plate with 6 baked discs of plain pastry and one plate with 6 individual pieces or 1 large piece (uncut) of finished product (equivalent to a serving of 6 portions). If finished product is rectangular, a white cutting board may be provided.
b) In case of Puff pastry the student will present either 6 discs or squares of baked puff pastry (plain) and one plate with 6 individual pieces or 1 large piece (uncut) of finished product (equivalent to a serving of 6 portions). If finished product is rectangular, a white cutting board may be provided.
c) In case of choux pastry the student will present 6 baked profiteroles (plain) and 6 individual portions of finished product or 1 large finished product equivalent to 6 portions.
4. The finished products can be attractively presented as for a pastry show case but need not be plated as a plated dessert, which means no requirement of sauces or exquisite garnishes etc.
5. The products will be judged on:
a) Texture (unfinished product)
b) Texture (finished product)
e) Suitability for a 5 star hotel pastry counter
6. The participants need to bring their own cutters, pastry wheel and specialized rolling pins and use after getting approval from the organizing committee.
7. No additional ingredients or equipment will be allowed other than those mentioned above.